Gluten-Free Wedding Cake Cookies
- 1 cup Butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ¾ cup Gluten-free Flour I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Cream butter and powder sugar till very light and fluffy
- Add flour, nuts, salt, and vanilla
- Mix for 3 mins. scrapping down the sides.
- Shape dough into a roll 1½ inch in diameter. Rap in parchment or wax paper and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the dough into ½ inch slices. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 min till light brown on the edge.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 mins then roll in powder sugar
When I think of Christmas cookies I thing of Mexican wedding cakes. These were always a cookie on my mom’s Christmas cookie platter. When I was a kid I wasn’t very fond of this cookie. But now I love them. This year it’s the first Christmas cookie I want to covert over to gluten-free. It really is a great coffee cookie perfect to make ahead and refrigerate the dough and bake off later in the week.
Nuts are what make this cookie great. You can change out the nut to whatever you like. I have seen it done with Pecans, walnuts or almonds. I’m making mine today with walnuts only because thats what I have.
You will want to chop your not finely so they mix well into the batter. This recipe also has no eggs so If you want to change out the butter for margarine it would be easy to make this cookie vegan.
First, add your butter or margarine and powder sugar to the mixing bowl and mix it till it becomes fluffy.
Once you have the fluff add the rest of your ingredients flour, salt, vanilla, and chopped nuts. Now let it mix for 3 mins. This will make sure your flour is well hydrated and no gluten means you can’t over mix and get a tuff cookie. Don’t forget to stop and scrape down the sides and mix a little more.
Next you’re going to shape the dough into a roll and roll it into some wax or parchment paper about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and chill thoroughly.
Once it’s well chilled you can cut the roll into 1/2 inch slices or you can shape them into balls or crescents.
Place on ungreased cookie shoot and bake at 350 for 15 to 20 mins till you get some brown on the edges. Let sit for 5 min on the tray and then while still warm roll in additional power sugar.
Move over to a wire rack let cool and enjoy it.